Greenhouses, Mighty Oaks, Tall Acorn Growing
“From mighty oaks do tall acorns grow.”
Here, the “mighty oaks” are both physical and intellectual.
- Physically — 5,500 magnificent Fraternity and Sorority Houses on 800 college campuses; inside are 250,000 bedrooms that are idle and empty in the summer. Those Houses were built to enrich the lives of motivated kids during college. What better place to provide nutrients for kids who need it the most? What better time than in the summer?
- Intellectually — Hundreds of well-established not-for-profit organizations involved in the most weighty issues of our time: Youth Empowerment; The Environment; Women’s Rights; Massive-Open-On-Line-Learning. (All of them brilliantly represented right here in Oregon.) Who better to light up the Houses? Who better to carry the torch?
The “acorns” are passionate souls of all ages and stripes gathered in the summer for a high-octane, short-term residential experience with long-term impact. Where the common objective is to nourish each other through invigorating,cross-fertilized exchanges inside a super-charged environment. Where the role and resources of the whole Community are put to work……….
….along with bunches of physically challenging stuff like……
The Result? A lifetime experience good for the kids. Plus advocacy and networking seminars for the adults. Plus waxed, polished, squeaky clean Houses for the Chapters. Lit up like a big lighthouse — even if it’s 100 miles from the sea.
The Eugene Jamboree 2015- a Summer-Time Greenhouse
………..where the foundation pieces are already in place
- Eugene is a small city with a big time Mayor. This kind of stuff is right up Kitty Piercy’s alley. (Believe me, we know this for a fact!)
- The Lions Clubs in Eugene and Springfield — an enthusiastic resource of a kind this effort requires and the Lions can provide.
- Northwest Youth Corps – enlisting kids to sand, paint, polish, make the Houses squeaky clean — along with field trips into the forest.
- Michael’s Catering — Michael’s Catering is the “Chief Spearhead” to get this off the ground. Michael’s was awarded the catering contracts for the Olympic Trials in 2008 and 2012. They housed their employees in Fraternity and Sorority Chapter Houses as well as with the Northwest Christian College. Here is rock-solid proof of how this model can work well for everyone.
- The Environmental Law Alliance is Eugene based and organizes the world’s largest conference on environmental legal issues. Their “best conference ever” was when they housed all their Alliance members (from around the world) in the Theta Chi Fraternity House. (like Wow!)
- Our own history of being deeply involved and deeply committed to the whole idea of Eugene Career Construction Day.
- The Hash House Harriers of Oregon — A group dating back to the mid 1930’s who know how to run and how to have lots of fun. (Full Disclosure: HibbsNibs was the first Hash Master of the Korean Chapter…..back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.) Shamelessly, we will call on them to provide some horsepower.
- My eight year history as House Dad for Sigma Chi and Theta Chi. This is all part of a the “necessaries” to change the perception of “frat houses and frat rats” to Fraternities as designed by their Founders. Where men – not boys – are determined to preserve an honorable Legacy where Friendship, Justice and Learning are the drivers.
The above represent the “foundation pieces” — seedlings? – for a Youth Centered Greenhouse crammed and jammed with “acorns” likely to grow tall, strong and self-directed.
Good for the Houses. Good for the organizers. Good for the community. Good for the kids. It’s as simple as that.